Welcome to the Department of Biomedical Engineering Technology, Koforidua Technical University (KTU). Established in 2014, we are a distinct, fast-growing community of 12 faculty, 7 staff and dozens of associated faculty and professionals from other departments within and outside the University. Together with dedication and hard work, the Department delivers industry-oriented educational and research missions of solving problems by integrating engineering, medicine and the basic sciences to advance and improve health care delivery in the nation and beyond. You are once again welcome to explore the rest of our department website to learn more about our programmes, collaborations, capable Faculty and Staff. You are also invited to visit us on the exquisite KTU campus or engage by contacting us.
HND Biomedical Engineering Technology is a three-year full-time programme aimed at equipping students with the necessary knowledge and skills in the smooth installation, maintenance and operation of medical laboratory equipment.
The programme also enhances the students’ ability to combine and use their knowledge in engineering and science to design the next generation of systems and treatments that will advance the quality of life for patients.
Students who graduate from this programme will have the expertise to design complex medical devices (such as artificial organs) that would help to detect and treat various kinds of ailments in the human body. The student could also model a medical imaging system and an artificial intelligence system to assist in some critical clinical decision making.
The principal courses taught under this programme include the following:
- Medical Physics/Medical Imaging
- Medical Image/Signal Processing
- Design and Construction of Medical Instrumentation
- Rehabilitation Engineering
- Hospital Equipment Management
Passes in six (6) subjects comprising three (3) Core subjects: English, Mathematics and Integrated science not exceeding D7, and three (3) Science Electives: Chemistry, Biology, Mathematics or Physics not exceeding C6.
- Must be at least 25 years and above
- The applicant must have a pure science background from GCE O & A level and SSSCE/WASSCE
- In addition to the above, the applicant must have at least two years of working experience in a medical laboratory and pass an Entrance Examination
Job opportunities for HND Biomedical Engineering graduates are mostly found in fields such as cellular, genetic, tissue, clinical and rehabilitation engineering. Other opportunities also exist in the fields of biomaterials, medical imaging, orthopaedic surgery, bioinstrumentation, biomechanics, drug design and delivery, pharmaceuticals and systems physiology.
Specifically, the graduates can work in:
- Clinic and hospital laboratories
- Public health agencies
- Industrial laboratories and pharmaceutical firms
- Research institutions such as:
- Centre for Scientific and Industrial Research
- Ghana Standards Authority
- Centre for Scientific Research into Plant Medicine
- Food and Drugs Authority
- Narcotic Control Boards etc
The graduates could also set up their private sales and servicing companies
The Department is associated with the following institutional collaborators:
- McGill University, Canada
- Axiology Labs, Johannesburg, SA
- Koforidua Regional Hospital
- Clinical Engineering Unit, Koforidua
- Joseph Hospital, Koforidua
- SDA Hospital, Koforidua
- St Dominic Hospital , Akwatia
- Centre for Plant Medicine Research, Mampong